Skip to main content

How To Save Time at the Grocery Store

Do you like to grocery shop?  If you answered, "Yes," this post is not for you.  Among all of the chores that I must accomplish over the course of the week, grocery shopping is one of my least favorite tasks.  However, over the course of the years, I have adapted.  I am now able to complete my weekly three store run in about 2 hours (including travel time).  Sound interesting?  Well, this is how I do it...


Tips for Cutting Down on Grocery Shopping Time

  1. Write a list.  I know this seems like a given, but so many people fail to plan ahead and then they find themselves running back and forth across the store in order to pick up something they had forgotten on an earlier pass.Thereby wasting valuable time.
  2. Comparison shop at home.  Many grocery stores have apps or websites now where you can see current pricing on items.  Use this information to your advantage and make your purchasing decisions prior to walking into the store.  (I usually write down exactly what I am going to purchase and the quantity that I will purchase.  I even go as far as to write down the price.  All of this information helps me to just grab an item and continue my shopping endeavor without having to make an on-the-spot decision.
  3. Leave the kids at home OR prepare activities for your little one(s). Here's where my jealousy kicks in, because I have to cart my toddler around with me.  Of course, it only makes sense that we would get our shopping done faster if the little one(s) wasn't(weren't) in tow.  However, that is not always possible, so prepare some activities for your child that he/she can do right in the cart.  We play race cars, shopping, and stuffed animals, while we shop.  Many grocery stores have supervised activity centers where you can drop off your child while you shop.  If your child is old enough to attend one of these, they are HEAVEN sent.  Seriously, kids usually love the play zone, and you get a few minutes to yourself to think.  (Remember those days?)
  4. Shop backward. This one threw me for a loop the first time I heard it, but when you think about it, it makes some sense.  At most supermarkets, everyone goes in the same door and starts by going clockwise around the store.  (This is done on purpose to keep the traffic flowing in one direction.)  However, there is no law that states that you need to walk clockwise around the store.  If you start by going counterclockwise, you will avoid the bottleneck you get at the beginning of the store.
  5. Shop during off times.  Did you know that most people go to the store on the same day and at the same time each week?  You do it too, don't you?  Well, if you do a little research, you can actually find the days and times throughout the week when there are always less customers in a store.  The less customers in the store, the fast you can get through it.  Personally, I get up at 6 a.m. on Saturdays to do my grocery shopping.  Of course, this time works for me.  You might find that shopping on Tuesday or Friday evenings suits your schedule better.  To find out when your store has less customers in it, go to the service desk then next time you shop.  I'm sure they will have a wealth of choices for you.
  6. Shop once a week.  I know this is easier said than done sometimes, but eliminating extra trips to the grocery store, saves time, money, and gas.  While you are getting yourself organized for the week, make sure to put those things on your list that you will inevitably run out of, even if they are in good supply when you leave for the store.
That's it in a nutshell.   Give one or all of these suggestions a try and let me know how they work out for you.  Good luck, moms! :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Relieve Your Toddler's Constipation; Here's How I Do It...

I feel your pain.  I know you haven't had any sleep for days, and you are worried about your little one.  You're thinking, "Will I have to resort to an enema again?"  Ugh! I get it. I have a two year old, who is perfect in every way, except one...he has an awful digestion system.  It seems like this has been going on for him since the moment he was born, poor guy.  I managed the first year and a half of life by nursing him.  He never had any trouble digesting my milk.  (And some days, I wish I could get my milk flowing again.)  After 18 months, his belly has been nothing but a problem for us all.  When the toddler is upset, even the neighbors can hear it...he screams bloody murder! So, for the past year, I have tried everything I could think of trying to get his system moving properly.   His doctor's orders, at first, were to add fiber and water to his diet.  Upon leaving the doctor's office, I felt confident.  I thought, "OK, I can do that!"  

Diaper Delivery Service Reviews (Diapers.com, Amazon Mom, and The Honest Company)

With the price of being a new parent rising, many moms are turning to diaper delivery service suppliers in order to get products. These services are intended to make Mom's life easier by providing her with everything she needs to manage baby. Three of the companies who provide this service are called Diaper.com, Amazon Mom, and Honest.com. This article features a review of each of these services and a summary that will help you decide which service best fits your needs. Each service was reviewed using Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, and its equivalent (at the Honest Company). Diapers.com  Benefits A mother using Diapers.com will find an extensive collection of baby items available for reasonable prices.   A case of Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, is $49.99.   Any order above $49 has free 2-Day shipping.  (There are NO EXCLUSIONS to this, which means stroller, dog food, deterg

The Dirty Little Secrets of Our Unemployment and the Road to Recovery

It was a rough couple of years, wasn't it.  My husband and I thought we were prepared, with three month's salary in the bank.  Ha!  Three months?  What about weathering unemployment for two years, due to the Great Recession?  Luckily, we were able to hold onto our house and cars, unlike so many others out there.  But, that came at a price.  We had to cash in one of our retirements, and I had to go back to work to support the family.  We traded paying childcare costs for having health insurance.  In addition to the monetary losses, the strain unemployment put on our relationship was intense.  But, after FIVE years, we are very slowly, moving to a better place in our lives. In 2009, my husband lost his secure, professional position that allowed me to work from home while caring for our first son.  While we were blessed with a supportive family and friends, the last five years have been incredibly difficult on my husband and I.  At first, we didn't believe that his losing