Skip to main content

Toy Room Transformation on No Budget

Time for a Toy Room?

Have you been wondering how to regain the space in your living room?  Do you want to encouraged your kids to play, but hate to clean up the mess?  Then it might be time for a toy room in your house.  As someone who lives on a tight budget, I thought that a toy room was out of reach for my house.  Until, my children showed me how it was possible.

My little ones are six and two.  And up until a few months ago, they coexisted in their own individual worlds.  Recently, my two year old has been more engaging and my six year old has discovered his patience.  So, now they are buddies.  (Smiles, as this warms my heart, obviously!)

One night not too long ago, I discovered my two year old in bed with the six year old.  He must have gotten scared and crawled into bed with him.  At the time, they had separate rooms.  (The boys' rooms are closer to each others than my room is to theirs.)  Awe, can you imagine it?  I seriously had a tear in my eye knowing that they truly do love each other.  And what's more, it gave me an idea.  The boys could share a room and it would free up the other room for a play room.  They would have each other at night when they need a little extra reassurance, and I would get my living room back!

So, I went to my husband and told him my idea.  His response, "If it is going to get the toys out of the living room, move the kids wherever you want."  Yay!   He was wholeheartedly on board.  :)  And so it went.  Over the course of about three weeks, I sorted clothes, toys, and furniture.  I moved the beds and dressers into one room.  My plan:  the boys and their clothes would be in one room and the toys would be in another.  I left one bookcase in the boys room for bedtime and general reading.  All of the toys went into the new toy room.

Next it was time to bring order to chaos.  I decided that the best course of action was to create play "zones."  With my boys, the zones I came up with were tools, sports, trucks, action figures, puzzles, and general play.  (My arts and crafts are in another room; one that does not have carpeting...)  Once I got the zones set, I had the lofty process of finding a space for everything.  As much as I could, I simplified games and toys.  I used Pinterest to help me, of course.  My favorite tip from Pinterest was to put jigsaw puzzles into Ziploc bags with a picture of the finished puzzle (I usually used the box top with the edges cut off).  What a space saver!

I wanted the room to be inviting to them, so they knew that they could and should play in it, so I got some decals for the walls.  Did you know that you can get really cute wall decals at the Dollar Tree.  If they move them and they rip, who cares?  With a two year old and my no budget, Fatheads are out of the question.  I did spend a couple of bucks on Command Hooks though.  I like these a lot more than regular hooks, because I can take them down without ruining the paint on the walls.  So, truth be told, I spent about $10 on my (kids') new play room.

Doesn't it look great?  I still have some work to do.  I hope to turn the closet into a reading nook and role playing area.  I also like the idea of having an indoor jungle gym set up. Remember:  my children are boys, better they hang off of something they are supposed to then the rafters!  We'll see where it goes, I'll keep you posted.  Please let me know if you have any ideas for the area.


What about you?  Is there a room or, even, a dedicated space where you can organize your child's toy collection?  It has only been a week, but already the new space is creating more peace in my house.  I'm sure it would do the same for you!

If you already made your toy room and are in need of some more great toys, check out this site's pretend play stuff.  I just love them, so cool...
http://www.ourgreenhouse.com/category_s/438.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Relieve Your Toddler's Constipation; Here's How I Do It...

I feel your pain.  I know you haven't had any sleep for days, and you are worried about your little one.  You're thinking, "Will I have to resort to an enema again?"  Ugh! I get it. I have a two year old, who is perfect in every way, except one...he has an awful digestion system.  It seems like this has been going on for him since the moment he was born, poor guy.  I managed the first year and a half of life by nursing him.  He never had any trouble digesting my milk.  (And some days, I wish I could get my milk flowing again.)  After 18 months, his belly has been nothing but a problem for us all.  When the toddler is upset, even the neighbors can hear it...he screams bloody murder! So, for the past year, I have tried everything I could think of trying to get his system moving properly.   His doctor's orders, at first, were to add fiber and water to his diet.  Upon leaving the doctor's office, I felt confident.  I thought, "OK, I can do that!"  

The Dirty Little Secrets of Our Unemployment and the Road to Recovery

It was a rough couple of years, wasn't it.  My husband and I thought we were prepared, with three month's salary in the bank.  Ha!  Three months?  What about weathering unemployment for two years, due to the Great Recession?  Luckily, we were able to hold onto our house and cars, unlike so many others out there.  But, that came at a price.  We had to cash in one of our retirements, and I had to go back to work to support the family.  We traded paying childcare costs for having health insurance.  In addition to the monetary losses, the strain unemployment put on our relationship was intense.  But, after FIVE years, we are very slowly, moving to a better place in our lives. In 2009, my husband lost his secure, professional position that allowed me to work from home while caring for our first son.  While we were blessed with a supportive family and friends, the last five years have been incredibly difficult on my husband and I.  At first, we didn't believe that his losing

Diaper Delivery Service Reviews (Diapers.com, Amazon Mom, and The Honest Company)

With the price of being a new parent rising, many moms are turning to diaper delivery service suppliers in order to get products. These services are intended to make Mom's life easier by providing her with everything she needs to manage baby. Three of the companies who provide this service are called Diaper.com, Amazon Mom, and Honest.com. This article features a review of each of these services and a summary that will help you decide which service best fits your needs. Each service was reviewed using Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, and its equivalent (at the Honest Company). Diapers.com  Benefits A mother using Diapers.com will find an extensive collection of baby items available for reasonable prices.   A case of Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, is $49.99.   Any order above $49 has free 2-Day shipping.  (There are NO EXCLUSIONS to this, which means stroller, dog food, deterg