Skip to main content

Screw Mom, She Doesn't Need a Holiday: Why Black Friday Bombed in 2014

2014 Black Friday: What a Waste!

I love Black Friday.  This year, like many other moms, I had my sights set on going out for the early morning Black Friday sales and shopping until I dropped.  But, unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way, and it is all the big retailers' (i.e. Walmart, Target, KMart, etc.) fault.  They never should have allowed their doors to open on Thanksgiving night.  Every single one of them should be ashamed for what they did to their employees, their families, and to the general public of working moms!

Retailers lost sight of what is important this year:  BUYING POWER.  Who has the most holiday buying in the household?  Moms, of course!  So, here's my beef.  How on Earth were we (working moms) supposed to go to work on Wednesday and cook and clean all night long, only to wake up after a 15 minute nap to start cooking again.  After, cooking, serving, and entertaining all day, we were supposed to find time to read the newspaper and jet out the door for an all-night shopping spree?  Give me a break.

Women's lib. was meant to prove that woman could do anything, not that they should do EVERYTHING.  What a joke!  Not only, was it unrealistic to think that any human being would be capable of pulling an all-nighters and be in the mood for getting some major deals, but also, they RUINED Black Friday for me.  

For months, I have been excited about taking Black Friday off to go shopping.  I made arrangements for people to watch my kids, so I could wake up at the crack of dawn and leave my house unattached to a child.  But since the big retailers thought it would be such a good idea to turn back the clock and give the great deals on Thanksgiving evening, I never even had a shot at a great deal.

Since I missed the great deals, because I was entertaining my family and ensuring a nice Thanksgiving Day celebration, I missed out.  I did end up going out on Friday morning, but the excitement that I felt in past years never happened.  It was clear to me that the good deals had already been taken.  I feel worn out, cheated, and angry.  Next year, Walmart, do us all a favor and keep Black Friday on Friday, so us MOMs have a chance to enjoy the day.  Be warned big retailers, you are on my naughty list.  This year, I am going to look for more alternative ways to spend my holiday money!

For all of you moms out there, do you agree?  If you figured out how to "Do It All" this year, please share your secret of how you did it in the comments below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Relieve Your Toddler's Constipation; Here's How I Do It...

I feel your pain.  I know you haven't had any sleep for days, and you are worried about your little one.  You're thinking, "Will I have to resort to an enema again?"  Ugh! I get it. I have a two year old, who is perfect in every way, except one...he has an awful digestion system.  It seems like this has been going on for him since the moment he was born, poor guy.  I managed the first year and a half of life by nursing him.  He never had any trouble digesting my milk.  (And some days, I wish I could get my milk flowing again.)  After 18 months, his belly has been nothing but a problem for us all.  When the toddler is upset, even the neighbors can hear it...he screams bloody murder! So, for the past year, I have tried everything I could think of trying to get his system moving properly.   His doctor's orders, at first, were to add fiber and water to his diet.  Upon leaving the doctor's office, I felt confident.  I thought, "OK, I can do that!"  

The Dirty Little Secrets of Our Unemployment and the Road to Recovery

It was a rough couple of years, wasn't it.  My husband and I thought we were prepared, with three month's salary in the bank.  Ha!  Three months?  What about weathering unemployment for two years, due to the Great Recession?  Luckily, we were able to hold onto our house and cars, unlike so many others out there.  But, that came at a price.  We had to cash in one of our retirements, and I had to go back to work to support the family.  We traded paying childcare costs for having health insurance.  In addition to the monetary losses, the strain unemployment put on our relationship was intense.  But, after FIVE years, we are very slowly, moving to a better place in our lives. In 2009, my husband lost his secure, professional position that allowed me to work from home while caring for our first son.  While we were blessed with a supportive family and friends, the last five years have been incredibly difficult on my husband and I.  At first, we didn't believe that his losing

Diaper Delivery Service Reviews (Diapers.com, Amazon Mom, and The Honest Company)

With the price of being a new parent rising, many moms are turning to diaper delivery service suppliers in order to get products. These services are intended to make Mom's life easier by providing her with everything she needs to manage baby. Three of the companies who provide this service are called Diaper.com, Amazon Mom, and Honest.com. This article features a review of each of these services and a summary that will help you decide which service best fits your needs. Each service was reviewed using Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, and its equivalent (at the Honest Company). Diapers.com  Benefits A mother using Diapers.com will find an extensive collection of baby items available for reasonable prices.   A case of Huggies Snug and Dry Size 3 Economy Case, including 222 diapers, is $49.99.   Any order above $49 has free 2-Day shipping.  (There are NO EXCLUSIONS to this, which means stroller, dog food, deterg